Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I Gather the Limbs of Palinurus, which by Wind and Waves are Tost

We cannot think if we have no time to read, nor feel if we are emotionally exhausted, nor out of cheap material create what is permanent. We cannot co-ordinate what is not there.

Cyril Connolly (Palinurus)
The Unquiet Grave, p. 2


Anatole France is said to have spent a great deal of time searching for the least possible variant that would turn the most worn-out and commonest phrases of journalism into something distinguished.
Such research is sometimes termed 'classicism'.
This is at the greatest possible remove from the usual English stylist's trend or urge toward a style different from everyone else's.

Ezra Pound
ABC of Reading, p. 70


One of the most important aspects of anti-Palinurian poetry is what Mike Magee has called its "extensive" "sympathies and empathies" or what Kasey Mohammad has suggested might be the "stickiness" of its ethical complicity. It neither valorizes or satirizes its sources (pace Ange Mlinko's blurb on Drew Gardner's Petroleum Hat). When it comes to Google-sculpted works, what this means is quite easy to demonstrate.

Compare the following patches of prose and poetry.

Here is part of a draft for the Galactic Guide written by Nicholas Gurley:

START DISCLAIMER

I, Nicholas Gurley, am not a pilot. I've studied all of the books, so I know the basics of hurling large metal cocoons [1] filled with people into the sky, but I have not taken the test that allows me to take over the controls as of yet.

I do, however, know about pilots. My father and my grand-father were both pilots. My father is a private pilot (he takes groups of four or less people into the sky at a time) and my grand-father was a Captain on a DC-3(a type of plane) for a commercial airline.

Besides that, I am quite familiar with all of my father's pilot friends, and can speak though pseudo-experience [2]. If I'm wrong, I'll fix it in an update. Just notify me immediately!

END DISCLAIMER

And here is a section of Tony Tost's "I Am Not the Pilot" (Cortland Review #22, Feb. 2003):

I am not a pilot nor a teacher.

I am not an athlete.

I, Nicholas Gurley, am not a pilot.

I've studied all of the books,
so I know the basics of hurling
large metal cocoons filled with people into the sky,
but I have not taken the test
that allows me to take over the controls as of yet.

I do, however, know about pilots.

I am not a pilot and I never asked for your message.

I think what pilots do is wonderful.

Here is a passage from Matthew Fitzgerald's book Sex-ploytation as excerpted by The Martian Bachelor Science Page:

"But what of the "bad boy" phenomenon? Every man knows, or has seen in action, that the more he abuses women, the more successful he will be in attracting them; and the nicer he is, the more likely he will wind up as a "friend". But most men are socialized to cultivate harmony, not discord, and so they refuse to participate in such pathology. Most men are nice guys, who have no interest in acting like jerks to women. Logic would suggest that a woman would want to avoid being brutalized..."

And here is a passage from Drew Gardner's "Chicks Dig War" (Petroleum Hat, Roof Books, 2005, p. 21).

But what of the "war boy" phenomenon?
Every man knows, or has seen in action,
that the more wars he starts,
the more successful he will be in attracting women,
and the more peaceful he is,
the more likely he will wind up as a "pacifist."
But most men are socialized to cultivate harmony,
not discord, and so they refuse to participate
in such pathology.
Most men are pacifists, who have no interest in war.

The means by which these two poets have co-ordinated what is there are different, but the effect is comparable. Worn-out phrases become distinguished (without being erased), cheap materials are given permanence (or, rather, something permanent is made out of them). Both make use of enjambments, but Gardner (much of whose material for this poem is drawn from the same page) replaces individual words to achieve his effects, while Tost situates a verbatim quotation in the new context of the poem.

In any case, I don't see any reason to think that Tost or Gardner are in any sense satirizing their sources. They are using materials that are "just lying around" for effects that are wholly unrelated (or at least only speciously related) to the effects they produced in their original context. The poem is not a "comment" on the materials. It is a new presentation.

No comments: