Saturday, June 04, 2011

Dasein and Duende

Lorca said: "Those dark sounds are the mystery, the roots that cling to the mire that we all know, that we all ignore, but from which comes the very substance of art. ‘Dark sounds’ said the man of the Spanish people, agreeing with Goethe, who in speaking of Paganini hit on a definition of the duende: ‘A mysterious force that everyone feels and no philosopher has explained.’"

Dasein is the pangrammatical homologue of duende. Can we hit on a definition? Yes we can: A mysterious being that thinks everything and no poet has exposed.

2 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

Reminds me of Frost's "abstract sound of sense," which is the sound of "voices behind a door that cuts off the words."

Which also reminds me of Poe's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," where everyone hears a different language, one they don't understand, in the vocalizations behind the locked door, and it turns out the voice was that of an orangutan. (I had to look that last point up to make sure it was an orangutan and not a gorilla!)

If you and I are lucky, those two comments will lead you to another cool post, as my reference to Sam Cooke did a while back. But perhaps my mentioning it will break the spell! :-)

Thomas said...

I just went back to this comment after posting about Confucius/Pound on "inarticulate thought", "tones given off by the heart". Interesting.