Wednesday, January 04, 2012

There Is Nothing that I Need

He chose the way of the cross. There is
nowhere you must go. His body was ample payment.
When you are in the mind, everything I am saying
will seem false. But I wish to tell you that myself.
It’s a language I have ceased to need. There is nothing
I have to wake for. To sleep from. I have no dreams.
I smiled at the genie and said please forgive me.
But there is nothing that I long for.
The panel issued a statement describing Bush
and Cheney as "forthcoming and candid."

I am relaxed and I have all the time I need or want
at this moment. I will be the builder of my experience.
I usually don’t ask for anything at this point.
Poetry is not my salvation because I need no
salvation to be redeemed from. It's just that
I've been thinking and I want to be sure:
The panel issued a statement
describing Bush and Cheney
as "forthcoming
and candid"?

I think I went a little overboard this year!
I sorted through it to see what I might need.
I am quite public about my need to
apologise for my past. Certainly your saving
grace is that there is no need that I could ever
have that is deeper that this one. Now, I would
want them to buy me. Let me revise that,
there is NOTHING that I NEED.
The panel issued a statement
describing Bush and Cheney
as "forthcoming and candid."

2 comments:

Andrew Shields said...

Can you ever be sure? Not when people say such things.

Thomas said...

Indeed, not. If you're interested in the backstory of this poem, see here.