Saturday, December 06, 2008

Flarf's Kopóltuš (3)

We know something about how Katie Degentesh's "No One Cares Much What Happens to You" was made. The title was taken from the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) test, parts of which were then "[fed into] internet search engines and piecing the poems together from the results pages" (The Anger Scale, Combo, 2006, p. 75). The materials I gathered earlier were found the same way (except in one case where I had to go to the source itself, though for ultimately incidental reasons).

It is obvious that part of the method (in this case) involves removing the directly MMPI-inspired material first (which ultimately appears in the poem only twice: as the title and in line 13):

No one cares much about angering the Serbs; when Serbs get mad, they talk about "human rights" and "European integrations." When Albanians get mad, ...

When Codi asks if anyone has publicized the problem, Viola reminds her that no one cares much about a small town like Grace. Wandering around the cemetery ...

No one cares much about the UN anymore, particularly since they elected Libyans to chair the Human Rights division. Stop laughing; I'm serious.

Its all I can afford on my nursing home wages, and no one cares much about smells there, even though I have to share a bathroom. ...

No one cares about Sarah Palin… She is awesome…a regular person….which i ..... envy Sarah Palin - I pity her. The most humiliating experience a working ...*

They should go there and do the fine job of building a nation like they think ... I suggest that you keepp your dumb comments to yourself. nobody cares to ...

we've gotten used to it, no one much cares, human dignity has been unsullied, and around 40,000 Americans conceived in petri dishes, walk among us ...

This gives a first indication of what is meant by "Google sculpting". Here, in fact, the block is being, let's say, "roughed out" or set up for the finer work of finding the poem in the results. We are left with

angering the Serbs; when Serbs get mad, they talk about "human rights" and "European integrations." When Albanians get mad,

When Codi asks if anyone has publicized the problem, Viola reminds her that a small town like Grace. Wandering around the cemetery

the UN anymore, particularly since they elected Libyans to chair the Human Rights division. Stop laughing; I'm serious.

Its all I can afford on my nursing home wages, and smells there, even though I have to share a bathroom.

Sarah Palin… She is awesome…a regular person….which i ..... envy Sarah Palin - I pity her. The most humiliating experience a working

They should go there and do the fine job of building a nation like they think ... I suggest that you keepp your dumb comments to yourself.

we've gotten used to it human dignity has been unsullied, and around 40,000 Americans conceived in petri dishes, walk among us

Next we are going to look through this to discern what Robert Duncan called a "jig-saw conformation of patterns of different orders ... a pattern of apparent reality in which the picture we are working to bring out appears ... a pattern of loss", an opportunity for kopóltuš.

___________
*Like I say, this one was obviously not part of Degentesh's search for this poem, which was written long before anyone might have pitied Sarah Palin. I simply hadn't been able to find any other combination of "no one cares much" and "I pity her" when Google threw me this bone.

No comments: